Client: Kilpatrick Townsend
Kilpatrick Townsend has been a Pushkin PR client for 18 years, before Townsend merged with Kilpatrick. We started working with the Denver office when it had only three lawyers and have helped it grow into one of the state’s largest intellectual property legal practices.
Professional services firms often have the same complaint: They are tired of being a well-kept secret while the competition seems to always get quoted in the press. Unlike PR folks, attorneys are naturally inclined to keep things very close to the vest when it comes to talking to the media. So, our challenge was to figure out how to help this practice distinguish its brand from the competition and position its firm as a thought leader.
We decided to focus on earned media and community relations.
- We developed story ideas around patents, digital copyrights, domain name battles, and other IP topics and pitch them to mainstream and legal media.
- We conducted a series of meet-and-greet “coffee talks” with business and legal reporters.
- We wrote, edited, and placed bylined articles to position individual attorneys as thought leaders. We also pitched these attorneys to reporters for expert background and commentary.
- We worked with the firm to identify and implement strategic community relations activities, such as presentations, speaking opportunities, and corporate sponsorships.
- We submitted the firm and individual attorneys for business and legal awards.
- Kilpatrick Townsend is consistently ranked among the top intellectual property law firms in Colorado.
- KT partners have been featured as IP experts in the Denver Post, Denver Business Journal, Colorado Biz Magazine, Law Week Colorado, Colorado Lawyer, Boulder Daily Camera, and on 9 News, and Fox Business.
- Law Week Colorado wrote a cover story about KT’s signature pro bono Grandparent Adoption program.
KT accolades include Lawyer of the Year, Women in Business, 40 under 40, Up and Coming Lawyers, Chambers USA, Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyers.
The Denver office has grown from three attorneys to over 40.
By helping Kilpatrick Townsend think about the press differently, we were able to use the power of the media to position the practice as a thought leader and its attorneys as experts in their field. We continue to help the firm uncover its best stories, determine the best channels to deliver those stories, and facilitate opportunities to enhance the firm’s brand in Colorado and nationally.